[mythtv] Audio Sync (Lipsync)

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Tue May 26 12:46:29 UTC 2009

> Hi Folks,
>
> a few weeks ago I bought a new LCD TV and noticed that the audio signal
> is a few milliseconds (200) ahead the picture - which seems to be a
> usual problem with LCD devices. Even more users noticed that problem and
> put it to the wishlist of mythtv. Usual DVD and BluRay Players have a
> feature to set up an audio offset value, AKA lipsync feature, so I
> thoughtit would be a good idea to integrate it into mythtv, too.
>
> Thanks to Marc Randolph, I re-started programming C++ and added a, IMHO,
> nice feature which enables the user to set up a audio sync offset in the
> general settings of mythfrontend (separate for each host). This offset
> is added initially to the audio offset already used transiently during
> playback.
>
> Because this is my first try contributing to mythtv (and getting in
> touch with C++ after years), I just wanted to ask which way would be
> best to let others test these changes (as you might know, I don't have
> write access to SVN ;-)
>
> I attached a patch to this email. I am really looking forward to hear
> from you guys!

A feature that allowed audio sync to be set for each video source would be
good - stuff I capture from my STB via a PVR-150 is always about 110mS out
but the DVB-S input is spot on. This means that as I move from one show to
another then if it was recorded from the STB I have to jab at the remote
for ages to get things correct.

--
Robin Gilks