[mythtv] Question about new theme: menu-ui.xml

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 23:09:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm working on porting some themes from 0.21 to 0.22...
>
> I'm not having much luck with some of them and the documentation
> doesn't seem to be up to date.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythUI_Theme_Development

That is actually a very up to date source of information.  It's all
accurate and current.

> "The base.xml file is the first file loaded by your theme. The
> base.xml file is the core definitions for each widget in your theme.
> Here you will define popup menus, font names, progress bars, dropdown
> menus, and all the other basic widgets used in the Myth UI. The
> base.xml file is a fantastic place to put all the definitions you
> intend to use later, which you can then call by name. "

All of this is true.

> However, there's the new menu-ui.xml
> without much documentation : http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Menu-ui.xml
>
> so far, it seems that only menu-ui.xml is relevant at defining the menu.

Read carefully again.  base.xml allows you to define the behavior and
appearance of widgets and menus.  menu-ui.xml is the actual layout of
the core myth menu.  Think of base.xml as an include file where you
can define the appearance and size of all your widgets, popup menus,
fonts, progress bars, and dropdown menus.  menu-ui.xml is the first
visible representation of those widgets, ie the actual layout of the
menu.  See Terra and the defaul and default-wide themes for examples
of all of this.

>  <window name="backgroundwindow">

Try removing these window tags.  Your core fonts should be defined
outside of a window.  Also try to use names that are more unique.  If
you don't have a base.xml that covers all necessary widgets, it will
fall back to the default base.xml for them and your font definitions
may get overridden.

Robert