[mythtv] Bizarre IR remote problem

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 1 05:25:51 UTC 2009

On 02/28/2009 10:15 AM, Rick Duske wrote:
> I am an experience Linux user new to Myth TV. I have read the forums
> and been consulting Dr. Google to help me with my IR remote problem
> for several days now to no avail.
>
> I am running Mythbuntu 8.10 on a Dell XPS Gen2 laptop with a Pinnacle
> HD Pro Stick (801e) USB tuner. I was able to get most everything setup
> and working without too much difficulty.
>
> My one problem is the IR remote. I am using a Logitech Harmony 880
> setup as a Hauppauge HVR-1100.
>
> LIRC seems to be setup correctly, The MythTV frontend responds to the
> remote and allows me to navigate the interface. irw reports all the
> buttons correctly. When I go into Live TV however, the remote doesn't
> respond. Here's where it gets a little strange. When I enter LiveTV
> and press the Pause button on the remote nothing happens. I use
> Ctrl-Alt-F4 to switch to a terminal, log in and run irw. when I press
> the Pause button, I get the irw line that indicates that it detected
> the Pause button press. I also hear the audio from the LiveTV stop.
> When I switch back to the LiveTV window, I see that the video is
> paused! The LiveTV window is responding to the remote, but only when
> switched to a different terminal. I obviously have something
> configured incorrectly, but I have been unable to determine exactly
> what. It seems like it might be a focus problem, but I have tried
> configuring the window manager to follow the mouse for focus, that did
> not help.
>
> Any assistance you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming you're using 0.21-fixes (as an issue with similar symptoms
seems to be fixed in trunk):

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5660
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6291

And please read all the threads on the -users list about the issue.
Note that it only seems to happen with the newest distros (FC9/10,
*buntu 8.10).

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/367472#367472
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/366507#366507
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/364018#364018