[mythtv] Bug Triaging (Was Why MythTV didn't handle the UK Freeview lineup change)

John Barberio barberio at lineone.net
Sun Jul 26 18:03:08 UTC 2009

I will apologise for saying "hit all UK users", when I should have
said "may hit all UK users", since I had no idea of the scope of those
affected.

However, "Attention needs to be drawn",  was certainly not hyperbole,
I don't expect devs to read every post on the user mailing list, so
attention did need to be drawn there.  I do actually consider the
rescan method used in mythTV a "Major design flaw", a full rescan even
without this bug requires the user to know to delete channels
themselves, and leaves it prone to this and other issues when lineups
alter existing channels. And yes, in this case, the bug *does* "break
use of mythtv as a Set Top Box system". I think you might be a bit
over sensitive to instantly assign those as 'hyperbole' rather than
just the way a particular person tends to phrase things.

I'm also confused as to why you say the issue was unclear, since
there's a link there to the mailing list thread detail what the
problem was, and the eventual work around. And I was never told the
issue report was unclear, or asked for clarification.

However, even if you do decide all of it was hyperbole, that's no
reason to close the bug. Nor is it reason to use a cryptic response
when closing that provides no meaningful information.

The action should have been to *ask for clarification of the bug* and
then close the bug as Invalid if no clarification comes in a
reasonable time with a copy-pasted explanation of why the bug was
closed. End users are not mind readers, and do not know why you closed
a bug if you do not tell them, nor to provide extra needed
clarification if you don't ask for it.

   - John