[mythtv] Branching for features/etc

David Engel david at istwok.net
Fri Jan 30 16:58:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 01:13:44AM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Friday 30 January 2009 1:00:33 am Bill Williamson wrote:
> > Coming from a development background the big "issue" people are having is
> > that myth is a "dev is the trunk, stable is a branch" methodology instead
> > of a "trunk is main, features are branched" one.
> >
> > For example, the way many other projects would be run is that trunk would
> > remain stable.  VDAPU would be a branch (kept compatible against trunk) and
> > once it was ready it would be merged back in.  Same with HD-PVR, the new
> > mythui support, etc.

I never received this message.  Strange.

> [...]
> Like the Qt4 port, the new UI code as a whole is pretty much too invasive to
> do in a separate branch.  There'd be way too many painful merges otherwise,
> unless everyone working in trunk also took the time to merge their changes
> into the branch.   Though, some parts are being done in separate branches -
> see the recently created mythmusic-ui branch, and I thought mythvideo had a
> branch while it was being worked on as well.

There really was no other way to do the Qt4 and UI changes.  If new
development was allowed to coninure elsewhere, the people doing the
Qt4 and UI work would perpetually chasing a moving target.  The thing
that probably bothers most people is that that work has taken so long.

In hindsight, I would have suggested a slight change, though.  I would
have allowed new features (like HD-PVR and VDPAU support) to have gone
into a 0.21-plus branch, but only after they had gone into trunk and a
responsible developer was willing to support them.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net