[mythtv] 0.22 scheduling

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Fri Jan 30 06:39:33 UTC 2009

On Thursday 29 January 2009 11:13:26 pm David Engel wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 06:45:21PM +0000, Paul Harrison wrote:
> >> Comment(by jyavenard at gmail.com):
> >
> > Please don't take this as a criticism but an observation. If you spent
> > half the time  you have on backporting stuff to fixes instead on fixing
> > the segfaults or problem you say you had with trunk then we'd be that
> > much nearer to releasing 0.22 which I hope is what everyone wants.
>
> Is there an agreed upon list of remaining tasks for 0.22 and is that
> list short enough to give any hope of a release in the near term?  I
> can't speak for anyone else, but my interest in working on trunk would
> probably increase if the answers are yes.  I'd love to help stabilize
> the HD-PVR and VDPAU support, but if there's several more months of UI
> porting to be done before it's ready for production use, I'd rather
> spend my free time elsewhere.

The biggest task from my POV, other than stabilizing everything, is indeed
just finishing off the remaining UI screens.  Not everything will be converted
over before 0.22, but more does need to be (the guidegrid and recording
options screens are what's notably missing from the main frontend).  I'm
assuming the settings screens will not be converted for 0.22, for instance.

I'd like to have a ffmpeg sync done before 0.22 as well, but that may be
complicated.  No harm done if it's not in.

I would like to be able to release something in the next few months, but who
knows.  More people that help out, even if it's just reporting bugs in a
useful manner, the sooner it'll be.  It'll take longer if people with the
necessary skills to help just say it's too unstable and go back to 0.21. <hint
hint>  :)

Anyway, I'm using trunk in production (with vdpau).  It's working fairly well
at the moment, though I don't really use any of the plugins anymore.  Haven't
had anything serious break in a while - nothing that prevented a recording
from happening, at least.  Actually, I've had many more frustrating issues
stemming from the OS install (like nfs client connections randomly dying),
than from trunk myth.

Isaac