[mythtv] vdpau on 8800 gts 640?

Ken and Timi Cecka ceckak at alumni.washington.edu
Mon Jan 19 01:43:37 UTC 2009

Hi All,

Haven't been able to dig up much on this in the list archives or elsewhere on
the web.  My 8800 GTS 640 (first generation series 8 card) is notably excluded
from the VDPAU supported list, but I had hoped that it would still work.

When I try enabling VDPAU from a current SVN build and start playback,
mythfrontend crashes:

  2009-01-18 17:08:07.992 VDPAU Error: Error at util-vdpau.cpp:142 (#25,
Unknown)
  2009-01-18 17:08:07.992 VDPAU Error: Failed to create VDP Device.
  2009-01-18 17:08:07.992 Unable to init VDPAU
  Segmentation fault

Error 25 appears to be VDP_STATUS_ERROR, which doesn't tell me much.

If anyone knows for sure that the 8800 GTS 640 is or is not supported by
VDPAU, I'd be interested in knowing.  If this card is expected to work, is
there anything useful I can do to debug this further?

Thanks,
Ken