[mythtv] mythmovie grabber issue (ToS)

xavier hervy xavier.hervy at bluebottle.com
Wed Jan 14 18:30:30 UTC 2009

xavier hervy wrote:
> Josh Lefler wrote:
>
>> MythMovies shells out to the grabber as an external program, then
>> receives back XML. It would be possible to write a sort of "MetaGrabber"
>> that shells out to various other grabbers then combines the results into
>> one XML block to be returned to MythMovies.
>>

> That is not the point
>
>> I'm not necessarily advocating this approach and wouldn't have a problem
>> with the idea of multiple grabbers in MythMovies itself, but its an
>> option to consider.
>>

> It is about legal issue not feasibility.
>
>> If someone did implement multiple grabbers in MythMovies itself, they
>> would need to consider what to do with multiple listings for a given
>> theater or movie in the various sources - especially if these entries
>> have conflicting data.
>>

> No conflict possible, on theater is own by only one company or franchise
>
>> Josh Lefler

Just correcting my awful english:

You are missing the point here.
Technically it is far better/easier to have only one source with all the
data. But in practice, it can be illegal.

The idea is to create a grabber for each company/franchise which own
theaters.
For example a grabber for Cineworld would get the data  from
http://www.cineworld.co.uk/ and a grabber for Empire Cinema would get
its data from http://www.empirecinemas.co.uk.

By definition cineworld website would not display Empire Cinema Theaters
show times information as they don't really want their customer to go to a
concurrent company.

So having twice the same theater from different sources should not be
possible and then not a problem .

Nobody would really prefer to write a grabber for each company, but it
might be a way to avoid the google ToS problem (or other sources).
It does basicly means that mythmovie would freely advertises the
theaters's show times of each franchise.

If I was Cineworld or Empire Cinema, why would I forbid my potential
customer to scrap my page in order to display in a more accessible
manner my show times information?

My question is:
Would this approach solve the ToS problem ?
(I am mainly talking to the dev with commit right to svn)

Regards,
Xavier