[mythtv] mythtv-dev Digest, Vol 70, Issue 30

Rob Smith kormoc at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 23:38:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
> What it doesn't do is allow you to review what is available but when you
> have selected something for that something to appear on an associated
> Front-end - i.e. on your TV.   Think of it as an advance remote control
> where you can view the EPG or recorded program list on the remote device
> when you click on "watch" the instruction is does not start playback on the
> remote device instead control commands are sent to the front end for
> execution (and playback).
>
> In fact I would look to write this in PHP, but my coding is not up to
> standard to hack someone elses hard work and so I propose to make this a
> seperate module (although it maybe reliant on mythweb to some degree).

Actually, this is the way we are heading, as Mr. Dean mentioned, we
are adding in contextual remote controls for specific devices (ipod
touch/iphone is the first target I'm going for, largely because it's
the only device I have), but it should be fairly simple to take the
ipod specific styles I'm doing and port them over to other devices.
The same mythweb install will be able to be viewed on multiple devices
each auto-picking their correct templates on the fly and exposing
features specific to those devices.

Expanding the current stuff isn't actually that hard at all. All the
frontend specific code is found in classes/MythFrontend.php, just add
in new methods similar to the play_program method and then every
device would be able to use the functionality. I do have plans to
write up handy methods for the entire telnet interface, but for now we
have the basics there.

~Rob