[mythtv] libcmyth failing to receive HD stream

Chase Douglas chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 22:18:52 UTC 2009

On Feb 22, 2009, at 8:01 AM, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Saturday 21 February 2009 23:39:54 Chase Douglas wrote:
>> I'm working on a separate frontend project using libcmyth and I've
>> been able to generate and play a live tv SD stream from an IVTV card.
>> A few times I've been able to generate and play an HD stream from a
>> pcHDTV-5500 card. However, usually the HD stream playback doesn't
>> work. The frontend keeps requesting bytes (as low as 1 byte), and the
>> backend keeps returning 0.
>>
>> My guess as to why I'm seeing this only on HD streams is that the SD
>> stream from the IVTV card is "always on". There's no lag time between
>> starting a recording and the recording file being available apart
>> from
>> the backend processes creating the recording. However, a digital
>> recording has to first tune and lock on to the signal before the
>> recording actually starts. I am guessing that my frontend is missing
>> some step between spawning live tv and beginning to request bytes of
>> the stream. I see the following in the backend log:
>>
>> 2009-02-21 17:10:46.739 Preview Error: Previewer file '/home/mythtv/
>> recordings/1840_20090221171043.mpg' is not valid.
>> 2009-02-21 17:10:46.740 Preview Error: Run() file not local: '/home/
>> mythtv/recordings/1840_20090221171043.mpg'
>> 2009-02-21 17:10:46.746 Preview Error: Preview process not ok.
>>                         fileinfo(/home/mythtv/recordings/
>> 1840_20090221171043.mpg.png) exists: 0 readable: 0 size: 0
>> 2009-02-21 17:10:51.531 RingBuf(/home/mythtv/recordings/
>> 1840_20090221171043.mpg): Invalid file (fd -1) when opening '/home/
>> mythtv/recordings/1840_20090221171043.mpg'.
>> 2009-02-21 17:10:51.567 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Playback
>> 2009-02-21 17:10:51.568 adding: mythtv as a client (events: 0)
>> 2009-02-21 17:10:51.580 RingBuf(/home/mythtv/recordings/
>> 1840_20090221171043.mpg) Error: Invalid file descriptor in
>> 'safe_read()'
>> --- last line repeating indefinitely ---
>>
>> I've run a tcpdump of a MythTV frontend to see what messages it sends
>> back and forth. I see it send on a control port:
>>
>> MYTH_PROTO_VERSION
>> ANN Playback
>> QUERY_RECORDER SPAWN_LIVETV
>> QUERY_RECORDER IS_RECORDING (backend returns 1)
>> *QUERY_RECORDER IS_RECORDING (backend returns 1)
>> *QUERY_RECORDER GET_FRAMERATE
>> *QUERY_CHECKFILE (backend returns 1 and filename)
>> *MESSAGE RECORDING_LIST_CHANGE
>> *QUERY_RECORDER FRONTEND_READY
>> *MESSAGE RECORDING_LIST_CHANGE
>> *QUERY_CHECKFILE (backend returns 1 and filename)
>> *MESSAGE RECORDING_LIST_CHANGE
>>
>> Then a new control port and the video streaming port are spawned
>> and I
>> see:
>>
>> ANN Playback
>> ANN FileTransfer (on the streaming port)
>> QUERY_FILETRANSFER REQUEST_BLOCK
>>
>> And from then on things progress as one would expect, with the new
>> control port requesting blocks and the new streaming port receiving
> [...]

I've been looking through the mythtv source to figure out what is
happening. It seems that when the backend gets an "ANN FileTransfer"
message it creates a FileTransfer object, which creates a RingBuffer
for the file. RingBuffer::RingBuffer calls RingBuffer::OpenFile, which
tries to open the file and read some data. After a certain amount of
time, if it can't open and read an amount of bytes from the file, it
gives up and sets the RingBuffer file descriptor to -1. There are no
other calls to RingBuffer::OpenFile that I can see, so from here on
out the whole FileTransfer object is pretty much useless. In my
opinion, the ANN FileTransfer message shouldn't return "OK" in this
case, but it does.

To get around this, the frontend can call "QUERY_FILETRANSFER IS_OPEN"
to figure out if the file descriptor is valid. I don't see this used
anywhere in the frontend though, so I'm still wondering how
mythfrontend gets around such a scenario.

A previous work around I was trying involved repeatedly sending "ANN
FileTransfer" messages and waiting for an OK response with a non-zero
file size. This isn't perfect though as the file size is retrieved
after the file opening is attempted, and there's no precondition on
the file size that the file descriptor is valid. However, what I found
was if the initial "ANN FileTransfer" message had a zero file size,
further "ANN FileTransfer" messages would also have a zero file size,
even though I can ssh into the backend and see that the file size is
in fact non-zero. I'm perplexed how this could be happening and would
appreciate any insight anyone has.

Thanks