[mythtv] Timed out waiting for free video buffers with VPAU but not Xv

Doug Vaughan r.d.vaughan at rogers.com
Mon Feb 9 20:58:20 UTC 2009

I know VDPAU is experimental and not supported yet. I have vdpau working
with mythtv .22 and mplayer. When I playback using mythvideo I get
random ~30 second pauses with "Timed out waiting for free video buffers"
frontend log messages.

When I playback the same source video with the "Normal" (xv-blit)
playback profile there is no pausing or log messages. Also the VDPAU
enabled mplayer does not have any pausing with the same source video.

I have tried the solutions from the MythTv wiki on trouble shooting
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Troubleshooting:NVP:_Timed_out_waiting_for_free_video_buffers
but the solutions do not help.

I am currently running mythtv 0.22 r19951 and nvidia 180.27. I have had
this issue ever since mythtv .22 had vdpau support through all versions
of the vdpau driver 180.xx. This problem occurs with or without
composite disabled.

Has anyone experienced the same random pausing with vdpau or have any
suggestions for a resolution?