[mythtv] Mythtv Bug 4989

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 10:42:04 UTC 2009

On Friday 06 February 2009 10:07:25 Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/2/6 Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com>:
> > The usual definition is that a bug is a piece of code that does not work
> > as intended. This code does do what it was designed to do - the Live TV
> > handling is something that wasn't implemented, not something that was
> > implemented but doesn't work as intended. So (IMHO) it's a feature
> > request.
>
> Jeez, I wonder how you explain that view at your job if you're a
> software developer.
>
> It's okay sir, it's not a bug ; if it failed to work it's because it
> wasn't implemented... You see ; a bug is .....

My car doesn't work very well off-road, it's 2 wheel drive. Should I complain
to the manufacturer because they didn't make it 4 wheel drive?

The behaviour of LiveTV when also recording using multi-rec was made clear at
the time the feature was added. If you enable multi-rec, then this is the
downside. Nothing prevents the switching of tuners and there is more than one
workaround which would give the desired behaviour 95% of the time. It does not
make LiveTV unusable when multi-rec is enabled, it's simply not as convenient
as it is without multi-rec.

It works exactly as it was expected to work, which may not be the way you want
it to work or the most user friendly, but that doesn't make it a bug. In the
same way that my car can't go off road because that isn't what it was designed
to do, MythTV will not automatically seek out a virtual tuner on an unused
card for LiveTV. If you want to add this functionality, we will accept
patches*.

* So long as they implement it in an acceptable manner, adhere to coding
standards and generally pass a certain level of quality.
--
Stuart Morgan