[mythtv] Mythtv Bug 4989

Allan Stirling dibblah.allan.stirling at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 5 13:12:14 UTC 2009

Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Jelle De Loecker wrote:
>> Dear sir,
>>
>> I'm sorry you thought it was necesary to lock bug 4989, I would like
>> to further explain:
>>
>> I have not demanded anywhere somebody should do all the work for me.
>> (I think it speaks for itself that a dev has to be able to choose what
>> bug he wants to fix.)
>>
>> I do not mind that they choose to ignore a bug because they're not
>> able to work on it, especially this one since it apparently concerns
>> so few users.
>>
>> But closing the bug is more like saying "your problem does not exist"
>
> Yeah, I do sympathise with your view. I too can understand the bug never
> getting fixed, but there seems to be a sort of strange pride in ignoring
> it. :-)

If you want to discuss patches, this is the place to do it.

The users list is more appropriate for discussions of
developer indolence, if anywhere is.

Trac is, as has been pointed out *many* times appropriate
for good bug reports and patches. If you're not developing
or improving a patch, you should really not be commenting on
a tracking / patch ticket without discussing on this mailing
list or on IRC with at least one developer.

Visible progress is slow on Myth at times. It gets even
slower when the real developers have to spend time wading
through "fix it" - "it's a problem for me too" - "when is
this <urgent issue for me> going to be fixed".

In summary, Trac is helpful to the developers only when it's
not inundated with unhelpful comments. This includes tickets
with essentially no information, requiring hours of triage.

So, please be patient. If it's still on Trac and not closed,
it WILL eventually be looked at. If it's been closed, talk
about it on the -users then possibly the -dev mailing lists,
or come on IRC.

Cheers,

Allan.