[mythtv] Any point in suggesting a switch to git...

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Dec 14 11:10:06 UTC 2009

'Twas brillig, and Bill Williamson at 14/12/09 09:51 did gyre and gimble:
>> Just to make one more little prod up the hill, git has huge advantages
>> even for one-person projects. One tends to keep many experimental
>> branches, each split into many small commits that can be easily mixed
>> and matched. It's a completely different world from cvs/svn usage.
>

> It would have made the entire JYA .21 VDPAU backport situation...
> different.  Better or worse, depending on how you view things.
>
> Worse for some because git encorages things like that due to how it works.
> Better for some because git encorages things like that due to how it works.

:)

On the same vein, I think with git, the -fixes branches would be easier
to maintain too. git cherry-pick is ace :) I'm not sure how much real
"effort" goes into the -fixes commit (by that I mean perhaps the tools
used by the devs help them track things better than manual svn merge'ing
which I personally always find a bit of a pain, looking up/copying n
pasting revisions and URLs etc.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie