[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r22955 - in trunk by danielk

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Dec 7 12:50:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 00:12 -0500, Glen Dragon wrote:
> Daniel,
> Regarding this commit:
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 3:31 PM, <mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org> wrote:
>              Author: danielk
>                Date: 2009-12-06 20:31:57 +0000 (Sun, 06 Dec 2009)
>         New Revision: 22955
>           Changeset: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/22955

>         Refs #7691. Speeds up Watch Recordings updates by using the
>         less heavy weight UPDATE_PROG_INFO instead of
>         RECORDING_LIST_CHANGE in a number of places.
<snip>
> The last post pretty accurately describes my problem, if there is a
> hdpvr recording going on on the slave backend, the entire setup, all
> frontends etc, are essentially unusable.

This problem has been reported to me, but I was unable to reproduce
with my current setup and current trunk. The initial commit had a
loop, but I thought had already fixed it. If this still occurs with
trunk can you try something for me?

In RemoteSendEvent() replace gContext->IsMasterBackend()
with gContext->IsBackend(), that shouldn't cause any problems
and might fix the problem.

If that doesn't work, try replacing UPDATE_PROG_INFO in the
RemoteSendEvent invocation in ProgramInfo with GLOBAL_UPDATE_PROG_INFO,
should prevent any looping, but other modifications will be
needed if that change is necessary; but someone with a misbehaving
system needs to test just replacing the string to see if this
is an avenue worth exploring.

It is possible that the servicing of the UPDATE_PROG_INFO is causing
additional updates to be sent, but any such cases should be affecting
my test system as well. A -v network,extra log of the back and front
end systems would tell me if this is the case.

-- Daniel