[mythtv] No discussions in trac..

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Dec 1 12:42:09 UTC 2009

Damian O'Sullivan wrote:
>> Reopening because the bug still exists, but please, please... PLEASE.
>>
>> Discussion.  Belongs.  On.  Mailing.  Lists.
>>

> I am not disputing that this should be the case but what is the
> reasoning? Would people who are not running HOT (ie -fixes) have to be
> subscribed to dev list to follow up on bugs they submit? Also when
> looking at bugs in the future (possible regressions etc) a dev would
> have to look at two sources for bug info.
>
> I know that some bugs do have a lot of +1 type entries and pointless
> comments. Maybe the talk on irc of authenticating trac would help.
>
> Thanks,

I too have wondered that, but I think maybe I get it now. Factual
information is useful in Trac, but detailed discussions, particularly
between two or more people that are struggling to come to agreement
would tend to make bug entries huge and difficult to look through.
Better is for Trac to have a link to the discussion on the mailing
list. Although I'd imagine the distinction between discussion and
information is sometimes a bit woolly. No harm in a little
flexibility.

P.