[mythtv] Compiling trunk under OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Sun Aug 30 03:48:43 UTC 2009

On 2009-08-29, at 8:25 PM, George Nassas wrote:

> It looks like the mysql client library is targeting x86_64 but the
> Qt only supports i386. Passing i386 to mysql's configure doesn't
> help. Or, I'm doing it wrong.

My mistake. It was picking up old Qt libraries I had in /Developer/
Tools. Removing those and giving a gratuitous -platform macx-g++-64 to
configure got Qt 4.5 to build for me.

Next up was libmad which failed because its configure doesn't check
for 64 bit environments. I added a --build x86_64 and it built.

On to myth itself. Snow Leopard defaults to gcc 4.2 which doesn't know
about -Wno-long-double so I had to comment that out of settings.pro.
Now it's crapping out in h264.c with a bunch of "suffix or operands
invalid for `add'" errors on lines 5431, 5443, 7265 & 7277. There were
also a ton of assembler warnings in libswscale but I looked the other
way.

Nigel, are you interested in getting the build working on Snow Leopard
at this time? There's a #warning in qglobal.h that causes "Support for
this version of Mac OS X is still preliminary" to show on every single
gcc run. Maybe they're trying to tell us something.

- George