[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r21225 - in trunk/mythtv by cpinkham

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Fri Aug 14 07:01:03 UTC 2009

    > This patch also does 2 things regarding the default value of the
    > StorageScheduler setting:

    > 1) The default method on the setup screen is now 'Balanced Free Space'.
    > 2) A DB upgrade inserts a setting into the database to set the method
    >    to 'Combination' so that users upgrading from previous versions will
    >    see the same scheduling logic they have been seeing.  Users can
    >    change the value in mythtv-setup anytime and restart the master
    >    backend for the new value to take effect.

I hesitate to ask, but...  what happens if someone updates from a Myth
that dates from before storage groups?  I'm guessing that various
schema updates will stick in the "old" defaults, which will then be
set to Combination, hence users updating from pre-SG Myths will wind
up with Combination even if they've never used SG's, unlike a fresh
install.  We've seen there are occasionally such old systems in the
wild (and potentially more by people not on this list, of course).

I'm also guessing that, even if it's possible to detect this, adding
the necessary hair to dbcheck probably isn't worth the potential for
introducing bugs for a case that isn't very common.  But it might be
worth a one-liner in release notes or something so people don't wind
up with the (now) non-default method without even realizing it.