[mythtv] Display of on screen epg

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Apr 8 21:01:49 UTC 2009

On Apr 8, 2009, at 1:47 PM, Erik Liin Dansbo wrote:

> Hi,
> I am working on my own version of a DVR. I have used the mythtv
> platform as an inspiration.
> The trouble for me is that I cant figure out how the on screen
> display of the EPG works. You know when you change a channel, you
> can see what is on that channel at the moment. Plus the explicit
> guide function.

Are you asking where in the source code the on screen display is? I
know the osd* files in mythtv/libs/libmythtv have everything you need
to make the on screen display work and guidegrid.h file in mythtv/libs/
libmythtv has everything needed to display the electronic program guide.

> I know that Mythtv uses mplayer as its default video player.

You are mistaken. MythTV uses its own internal player as its default
video player.

> Is Mythtv using a separate program to display the needed information
> from the EPG and in that case which?

No, like everything else it is built in. Luckily you have access to
this and all of the source code.

P.S. I'm neither a developer nor am I "pretending to be one". I just
used grep to look through the source code.