[mythtv] Trunk & Fixes Question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 18 01:08:37 UTC 2008

On 09/17/2008 08:41 PM, Anduin Withers wrote:
> If what you are doing doesn't actually involve talking to the backend it is very easy to run a different frontend to work on, and only somewhat harder to set up a dummy backend for it to talk to.

Especially if you have an extra non-Myth computer in your house (such as
your normal desktop computer) to become a Myth dev box.

I just took a snapshot of my production DB and did a new-host restore (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Database_Backup_and_Restore , but
see the one that talks about plugin data if you're working on
MythVideo), copied a couple of small recording files and "deleted" the
rest.  For capture cards, I set up a "test" card (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/217058#217058 ).  Then,
when I'm working on Myth, I just dump the program listings from my
production system (if I want valid listings) using a simple script (that
I recently accidentally deleted along with a /lot/ of other stuff).

And, the beautiful thing is that I can break my dev box as much as I
want (and I have broken it pretty severely since setting it up--doing so
is the best way to test, er, "common user configurations" :) and never
worry about missing anything important.

Mike