[mythtv] MythVideo and IMDb

Anduin Withers awithers at anduin.com
Wed Sep 10 19:21:38 UTC 2008

>      There is an MCE plugin similar to mythvideo. They have their own
> database and they seem to be willing to allow other people to use it.
> This is MyMovies. Has anyone thought of contacting them?

Someone mentioned MyMovies before (so I've looked at it previously and have again for details). The most useful access would be through the web service (currently not allowed for non-commercial use).

Without access to the web service their usage terms, though acceptable (to me at least), don't add up to much.

Their new openness, where you can directly connect to the database: that database is the Microsoft SQL Server (Express) that they install with the server portion of their software. It is used the same way we use MySQL (data cache) making it just as empty as our own after installation (until you start using their collection management software to add titles).

The convenient XML data export is from that, potentially empty, database.

I don't see an upside for them allowing us access but there is no harm in asking (which I'll attempt soon unless someone more familiar with their product wants to).

--
Anduin Withers