[mythtv] MythTV_0.21+Fedora9+PulseAudio+ALSA causing the volume to be unchangable

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Sep 10 12:45:23 UTC 2008

buzz wrote:
> As a related note to this defect......
>
> Has anyone other than me experienced the combination of
> MythTv0.21+Fedora9+PulseAudio+ALSA causing the volume to be unchangable
> ( or more correctly, I can change it all I like, and the on-screen
> display changes, but the decibels dont).  ?
>
> Yes, I have ALSA  as the selected output type in mythtv, and I DO get
> sound..... so it's a slightly different bug that the one mentioned in
> #3598 below, but quite possibly related.

Make sure your mixer is set to "Master" and not "PCM". Pulse does not
expose a PCM mixer control.

Also make sure you have configure alsa correctly to use the pulse plugin
as a mixer and not just for PCM data.

Also you can see Cal's patch for direct pulseaudio support here:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5473

HTHs

Col

--