[mythtv] MythVideo and IMDb

xavier hervy xavier.hervy at bluebottle.com
Tue Sep 9 09:08:12 UTC 2008

Hi Anduin,

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 20:53 -0700, Anduin Withers wrote:
> The imdb.pl and imdbpy.py (depending on how it is configured) scripts currently violate IMDb's Conditions of Use (http://www.imdb.com/help/show_article?conditions) under License and Site Access -> Robots and Screen Scrapping.

<snip>
> What is next:
>
> I'm going to comply with their terms which will likely result in:
>
>   1. The removal of imdb.pl.
>   2. Instructions for making imdbpy.py work with the downloadable imdb
>      data.
>   3. Find a new site with terms we can comply with.
I wrote allocine.pl(www.allocine.fr) (available in mythtv svn). I
recently add a switch to grap the english version(www.rushscreen.co.uk)
I do not think it is as complete as the french version, but I use the
english version as my girl friend is english. I did not have a look to
the term and condition though.
>   4. Make individual search script selection easier in the UI.
Do you means we could choose when we grab the metadata wich configured
script we will use ? That would be very helpful as some French movie are
not available on www.rushscreen.co.uk. It could be useful for series as
well.

> Progress on 3 is limited, I've been looking at omdb.org. There are several issues with omdb.org that will make it an uncomfortable switch (the English data is sparse). If you know of a suitable alternate site, let me know.
>
> I'll likely get to each of the above in that order.
>
> --
> Anduin Withers
Xavier