[mythtv] MythTV website outdated?

John van Timmeren vantimmeren at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 18:22:00 UTC 2008

> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 04:04:06PM +0200, John van Timmeren wrote:
>> While working on the MythTV manual (mainly the DVB part at the moment)
>> I was looking at the MythTV homepage. With all respect... It looks
>> like the Mythtv home page is outdated in content and format?
>
> You're not clear.
> Do you mean the MythTV home page, at www.mythtv.org?
> Or the Wiki's home page, at wiki.mythtv.org?

Good question: I mean the MythTV home page at mythTV.org.

>> Only release information seems to be up-to-date? I find the website
>> not matching the looks of MythTV and the the given content is not very
>> compelling to atract new users and developers. Especially when looking
>> at other pvr projects like http://xbmc.org or
>> www.team-mediaportal.com.
>
> We don't need no steenkin' graphics.  Our code is better than theirs.  :-)
> (Where, by 'we', I mean 'those other people who write code')

mmm my gopher browser didn't seem to go well on the home page ;) so I
assume you mean excessive use of graphics... I can relate to that, i'm
still not over the period that everyone had animated gifs on their
homepage. And I know mythtv's code is better, thats why i'm using it.

But seriously, I'm more concerned about the content en how its
presented. Correct me if i'm wrong here, but isn't the goal to inform
(potential) users and attract skilled programmers to the ongoing
improvement of MythTV? If not I take back anything I said and find the
website perfect as it is.

Regard, John