[mythtv] CC benchmarks and procedure list ? Was: how would one speed up the channel changing in mythtv ?

Matt Hakim thepigs at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 22:30:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Robert Johnston <anaerin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20/10/2008 11:18 PM, Matt Hakim wrote:
>>> Thank you for this detailed answer.  I'll go through it in the next day
>>> or so and comment.
>>
>> I agree about the channel change time -- about 5 sec. Then again, I
>> find the whole UI quite slow in 0.21 fixes. I can see the widgets
>> redraw themselves.
>
> This is unrelated to the current discussion. It sounds like you're using
> the OpenGL renderer without any OpenGL acceleration, so your system is
> falling back to Software-based MesaGL rendering. If you switch rendering
> engines to Qt, the "Slow UI" problem should go away.
> --
> Robert Johnston

Well I guess I didn't mean slow, I meant you can see widget flicker
like there's no double buffering for widget drawing. I find the UI
clunky though -- like you can feel the gears turning in the
background. Hence I'm not surprised that channel changes take a long
time given this clunky feel. My point was is that it's no XBMC in the
frontend department.