[mythtv] How would one speed up the channel changing in mythtv ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 19:46:49 UTC 2008

I'm thinking of using mythtv as the base for my HTPC FTA satellite
receiver.   I've never used mythtv, but I understand its optimized for
PVR functions more than surfing and viewing live TV and as such the
channel changing time is a bit long.

I'm a software developer.   I'm coming from a world of FTA receivers
that change channels in about 1 second.

How much work would it be to modify mythtv so that it changed channels
faster ?

I understand that the mythtv backend buffers about 5 seconds of the
stream before it forwards it to the front end.  Is this the main reason
for the longer channel change times ?

What would happen if one decreased the buffer size to nearly zero ?

Thanks