[mythtv] MythTV and Twitter

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Nov 28 04:30:35 UTC 2008

On Nov 27, 2008, at 6:42 PM, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

> I did a little Googling, and found that there is a program that comes
> with MythTV called "mythtvosd".  (Usually found at
> "/usr/bin/mythtvosd".)
>
> That's what I should using to write to the On Screen Display, correct?
> (And not some other API.)

Yes. Use that to display text in the OSD. Just remember that it will
only appear in the OSD (meaning, it can only appear when watching
video with the Internal player). xosd can be installed and used to
display text on any x display. This has nothing to do with mythtv, so
it's a 3rd party dependency if you go this way.

> BTW... is the any MythTV convention for installing MythTV addons like
> this?  Or do I just treat it like a "normal" Linux app, and make an
> .RPM or whatever for it.

It depends on what kind of add on it is. If it's a plug in that needs
to be installed, you generally tar it up and give instructions on
building and installing. If it's a script, you generally post the
script somewhere with instructions on how to use it and can optionally
submit it for inclusion in the contrib directory.

-Brad