[mythtv] New Video Decode and Presentation API

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Wed Nov 19 18:34:31 UTC 2008

David Engel <david at istwok.net> says:
> Given your druthers, would you rather have a new E8400/E8500 based
> frontend for viewing HD-PVR recordings or save some cash and use
> vdpau in an older frontend with a new video card?  My current
> frontend can only handle 480p HD-PVR recordings and I was about to
> build a new one when the vdpau news broke.

I'm in the same boat; my nearly three years-old frontend *can* play
6Mbps 720p HD-PVR recordings
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/348381#348381>,
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/351830#351830>),
and surprisingly well, but had planned on eventually building a new
Core 2 Duo-powered frontend to handle 13.5Mbps HD-PVR recordings
(including 1080i when support improves). The Nvidia news and Isaac's
patch give me hope that my frontend may last for another three years.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array