[mythtv] Audio-upmixing questions regarding #5900

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 04:57:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 2:12 PM, foo bar <foobum at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/18 Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>:
>> Is there a way to choose between Pro Logic and DTS Neo? My receiver's
>> do both these (so I wouldn't really use this feature, but) and there
>> is a noticable difference, which for some content means one is better
>> than the other. So, you know, it would just be nice to be able to
>> choose...
> I think you've misunderstood slightly. The upmixer will use any DPL /
> DTS Neo hints that are encoded into the source material to do routing.
> You can't choose unless you encoded the source material. The output is
> 5 discrete channels (plus LFE) - no matrix encoding is passed to the
> receiver.
> The algorithm it uses to upmix 2 channel stuff with no matrix encoding
> is a little like DPL II but, apparently, better. It does sound that
> way to me. Also, we set different parameters in terms of rear speaker
> phase, 'dimension' and 'center width' depending on the source (video
> playback or music). So you may find, like I have, that it's
> easier/better to upmix in myth rather than at your receiver.

Interesting. My receivers both let me choose which of those to use,
with varying quality of output, even though I don't think I've ever
encountered anything designed with Neo6 in mind specifically.

But, that said, you've intrigued me to try it out to see if it as a
third option is better =D

Thanks for the work in this, it's something I'd hoped someone with the
ability to do would add to Myth for a while now, so it cool to see it
actually get implemented, good work to all involved!

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -