[mythtv] Samsung LCD TVs run Linux. Implement a native mythtv front end within the TV ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 15:37:40 UTC 2008

I've been shopping for a new flat panel HDTV.   One of the sets on my
short list is the Samsung LN52A650.  Another is the LN52A750.

Anyway, these models appear to run Linux as the last chapter in the
users manual has the GPL printed out.

Samsung has released several firmware updates for these TVs.  They are
installed via a USB thumbdrive.

These TVs have an Ethernet port.  They also have an optional USB Wifi
dongle that allows them to connect to a local wireless network.  Albeit
with limited functionality.

The LN52A750 is rumored to have a built in hard drive.

So... what are the chances that "we" could hack these sets to either
increase the network functionality (ie full DLNA functionality) or
implement a mythtv front end within them ?