[mythtv] Fwd: Seg Fault on HEAD build under win32

Arnon Meshoulam (arnonm) arnonm at gmail.com
Thu May 15 14:30:03 UTC 2008

On 5/15/08, buzz <davidbuzz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just had a quick glance through your patch, and it looks like you
> have  a few really good things in there, and a couple of things I'm
> uncertain about....
>

> 0) what are you patches against?    it seems like you have use an
> older version of the script, and then diffed against HEAD?   these are
> a lot of changes in the .diff file that I don't think are yours, are
> they?

Absolutely correct - I think mine was 2-3 versions back of HEAD and I missed
something. It was just a rough patch to share between us. I can clean it up
if we need.

1) As you've started installing to /usr/local instead of /usr  ... it
> appears to be so that you can just copy the entire contents of 'local'
> into 'build' later and delete it! ?   That's far from perfect,
> especially if  msys/ming users have other stuff that they have chosen
> to install into /usr/local/
> Perhaps checking if it already exists at the start, and failing would
> be a reasonable compromise.... "build aborted /usr/local must be empty
> initially" or some other BS.
> A better solution (in my view anyway) is to pick-n-choose the precise
> files needed in the 'build' folder, and copy them into the 'build'
> folder on-demand.   that way, the files aren't re-installed to
> /usr/local, relocated, and then deleted every time the script is run.
> the result being that repeat runs are quicker then?.

No, I install the mythtv section twice. Once to /usr/local and then set
INSTALL_ROOT=c:\mythtv\build and install again, so only the correct files
get copied to c:\mythtv\build\usr\local\...  When myththemes and plugins
finish install I just move it all to c:\mythtv\build.
This way I avoid the situation you just mentioned and don't have to mess
between the runtime and build time dependencies

2) the patches to QT4 (qt4_install_helpers.patch) are definitely
> something that we want (assuming no-one has any better ideas that
> avoid patching QT) , so we should get these  checked-in to the build
> script ASAP.
>
> 3)   ticket  5331/5332   should be reviewed by a dev with commit
> access (Nigel, or anyone else feeling helpful!) .
>
> 4) these tweaks to settings.pro (and plugins settings.pro too) seem a
> good idea to me too, so I think they should just get committed to  the
> .pro files directly= !
> win32:QMAKE_INSTALL_DIR = sh ./cpsvndir
> win32:DEPENDS += ./
> win32:QMAKE_MKDIR = mkdir -p

I think they are. They should be covered by 5331/2