[mythtv] Inquiry for user base data in order to try and develop and seup a new MythWeather viewer

Ashley Bostock abostock at gmail.com
Thu May 8 13:58:24 UTC 2008

2008/5/8 Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk>:

>> > BBC, who get their data from the Met Office. Not sure how you could get
>> > more accurate than that?
>>
>> I don't know who Accuweather get their raw data from (possibly Met
>> Office). However, they do their own forecasting. In my experience this
>> is significantly more accurate and has much finer grained regional
>> information than the BBC.
>
> Accuweather might offer more than I could find, especially with the pay
> services, but I could only find city/town level information in their free
> reports.
>
> The BBC match reports to postcodes at a finer granularity e.g. Cities in the
> UK only merit a general report on Accuweather, but the BBC offer several
> reports for the area depending on your postcode - enter a different postcode
> within the same city and the current conditions/forecast change based on the
> closest weather station.
>
> If you want to create a new grabber for Accuweather then I'm not trying to
> discourage you. If you want that grabber to be included in the official
> distribution then it should be done with the permission, implicit if using an
> RSS feed, of AccuWeather.
> --
> Stuart Morgan

Another problem with the BBC feeds is that many areas are missing data
for the current conditions feed.  So I get an ugly question mark
instead of a weather icon and n/a for the visibility. Quick look
around Kent and these are all missing that data...

Dover (http://feeds.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/rss/obs/id/1549.xml)
Folkestone (http://feeds.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/rss/obs/id/1552.xml)
Deal (http://feeds.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/rss/obs/id/1548.xml)
Hythe (http://feeds.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/rss/obs/id/1556.xml)
Chatham (http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2673)
Maidstone (http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2664)
etc...

I've informed them and they did get back to me a few times, but
nothing has been fixed :(

Ash