[mythtv] Qt4 port: database character set change necessary

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sat Mar 22 20:50:55 UTC 2008

Simon Kenyon wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 19:00 +0100, Janne Grunau wrote:
>
>> The second alternative is forking the qt4 mysql driver into our code
>> base and modify it so it would work with our current database. I hope I
>> don't have to explain why we would do it only if it's unavoidable.
>>

> i hope that that was not a serious suggestion
> there are (IMHO) already way too many forked copies in myth (ffmpeg and
> libdvdnav being two that come to mind)

I know it off topic, but I cannot help myself.

FFmpeg does not make releases. As such, projects that use it are
essentially forced to fork. After all, with no stable releases it is all
but impossible for the different programs that depend on FFmpeg to use
the same version.

libdvdnav was unsupported. Therefore, bug fix and feature patches were
not being integrated. This forced multiple projects that use it to just
say fork it and create their own copies. I suppose were the right person
to step forward and work to maintain a version that would work with all
the projects that use it, then it might be possible to undo the forking
mess, but I doubt it.