[mythtv] Mythtv does not set the non-audio bit for ac-3 surround

Bas Wielens bas.wielens at arcor.de
Fri Mar 21 23:59:09 UTC 2008

Hello,

i've been trying for days now to get the surround working in mythtv when playing dvd's. I've tried everything i found in google, with no result. My receiver (Sony) does not indicate surround when playing a dvd.

I've set the the passthrough output device to 'Default' (also tried ALSA:iec958, ALSA:iec958{AES0 0x06}, ALSA:iec958{AES0 0x02}, ALSA:spdif, ALSA:surround51, ...) non worked...If i would set the non-audio bit by hand, using the 'iecset audio 0' it actually worked using the 'Default' passthrough device. My receivers blue light comes up and i get full ac-3 surround. The only drawback is that i have to set this manual inside a shell each time i want to play a dvd and i have to set it back manual using 'iecset audio 0' if i want to listen to music. This is really unpractical...

I've tried all the 'hints' i found with google, including messing arround with .asoundrc etc...no positive result :( Does anybody know a solution that works for this problem, or am i the only one that has this?.

aplay -L says:
front:CARD=CK804,DEV=0
    NVidia CK804, NVidia CK804
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=CK804,DEV=0
    NVidia CK804, NVidia CK804
surround41:CARD=CK804,DEV=0
    NVidia CK804, NVidia CK804
surround50:CARD=CK804,DEV=0
    NVidia CK804, NVidia CK804
surround51:CARD=CK804,DEV=0
    NVidia CK804, NVidia CK804
null

aplay -l says:
card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK804]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK804 - IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Thanks!!!!

Jetzt komfortabel bei Arcor-Digital TV einsteigen: Mehr Happy Ends, mehr Herzschmerz, mehr Fernsehen! Erleben Sie 50 digitale TV Programme und optional 60 Pay TV Sender, einen elektronischen Programmführer mit Movie Star Bewertungen von TV Movie. Außerdem, aktuelle Filmhits und prickelnde Erotik in der Arcor-Videothek. Infos unter www.arcor.de/tv