[mythtv] MythTV Manual

Robert Kulagowski rkulagow at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 20:43:04 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/19/2008 02:06 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:
>> I have spent some time trying to update the documentation on the wiki
>> but have also noticed that there is documentation on the webpage as
>> well but it is outdated to .20.
>>
>> This raises several questions:
>>
>> 1.  Why is there 2 usermanuals?
>> http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User_Manual:Index
>
> The non-wiki one is the one that's actually reviewed for correctness.
> 'nuff said.

I didn't start the wiki version of the docs, and don't really have the
time to work on that sort of stuff and try to keep it up to date.  The
wiki is good for some things, but also bad for others.  There are how
many different versions of distro-specific install docs?

>> 2.  Can we consolidate them?
>> The wiki seems like a better solution as many people can update it
>> breaking the task into smaller projects.
>
> Perhaps a better solution is to have something like the MySQL docs in
> the wiki.  It contains a non-editable copy of the official docs with a
> location for people to write in "notes".  I don't know if it's possible
> to do something like that with the wiki we're using.  If not, perhaps
> just having wiki pages with links to (or iframes or divs or ?
> containing) the official HOWTO pages with "notes" underneath.

I'm not sure if this can be done, since I didn't setup the Wiki.

> Make a patch to mythtv/docs/mythtv-HOWTO.sgml and submit it with a
> ticket on Trac.  I thin Robert has also said he would accept text
> written as plain text (but /no/ changes to the mythtv-HOWTO*.html files
> and no HTML text).

Yep, that's pretty much the process.  Since the SGML file is used to
generate the HTML and the plain text docs, sending me something full of
HTML doesn't do much good.