[mythtv] [ANNOUNCE] merging Qt4 branch to trunk

Jay Modi jmodi at vt.edu
Tue Mar 18 01:28:27 UTC 2008

> AFAIK, automake/autoconf is not used. There really does not seem to a be a
> great description of what that ticket means by "adding support for
> MinGW/MSYS platform". I know QT can be used on Windows with MSVC, but
> currently MythTV needs MinGW/MSYS and by the wording in the changelog, I
> think one would want full support for this platform.

Just doing a little more research on the issue, and I have found this
information from another project:
http://qwt.sourceforge.net/qwtinstall.html

The items of note are:

C2) MSYS Shell Qt >= 4.3.0

Support for the MSYS Shell has been improved in Qt 4.3.0.
Now building Qwt from the MSYS Shell works exactly like UNIX or in the
Windows Shell.

C3) MSYS Shell Qt < 4.3.0

For Qt < 4.3.0 you have to set the MINGW_IN_SHELL variable.
make will run into errors with the subdirs target, that can be
ignored (make -i).

export MINGW_IN_SHELL=1;

qmake
make -i
make -i install

So it seems as though it does play better with MSYS platform in general,
especially in compilation. Although, this is for a different project I feel
that this should be considered when debating which version of QT to use.
Also seems as though qmake was changed in 4.3.0:
http://lists.trolltech.com/qt-interest/2007-06/thread00366-0.html

But designing MythTV to 4.2 specs would still allow the use of 4.3 for
> Windows

That is correct, so I guess we can just require QT 4.3 for Windows at least.