[mythtv] [ANNOUNCE] merging Qt4 branch to trunk

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Tue Mar 18 00:05:14 UTC 2008

Matt S. wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Paul Bender <pebender at san.rr.com> wrote:

> If you don't want to upgrade your distro, why upgrade myth?

Your statement is equivalent to "If you don't want to buy a new house,
why buy new window drapes."

Many people's backends act as servers for many other services. Upgrading
MythTV is relatively benign compared to upgrading the entire OS.
Therefore, I get a stable server while being able to upgrade MythTV.

Also, if I do not upgrade then I provide new MiniMyth releass.

 > Keep it
> as it is, a stable environment.  If you want the latest and greatest,
> then you're going to have to sacrafice a little in order to prevent
> stagnation and killing innovation.

This is a nice generality. However, can you point to specific things in
Qt 4.3 and not in Qt 4.2 that will enable innovation in MythTV? If not,
then the statement does not apply to this instance.

> Someone's going to lose out either way... I vote for increased
> functionality than legacy support.

That is why I asked about what the need for  4.3 over 4.2 was. You are
assuming increased functionality. As stated "[the] main reason for
choosing 4.3 are the difficulties of bumping a required version later.",
not new functionality. If there is no new functionality because of using
4.3 over 4.2, then all there is additional work for many others.