[mythtv] [ANNOUNCE] merging Qt4 branch to trunk

Matt S. skd5aner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 23:42:57 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Paul Bender <pebender at san.rr.com> wrote:
> Janne Grunau wrote:
> >> Is there a compelling reason for requiring Qt 4.3 rather than Qt 4.2?
> >
> > I was considering even requiring the unreleased qt4.4 for qtwebkit. So
> > 4.3 was natural other choice. I didn't spent much thought about the
> > version since qt4.3 is a year old. My main reason for choosing 4.3 are
> > the difficulties of bumping a required version later.
>
> When considering a stable OS, a year is not that long a time.
>
> There was considerable discussion surrounding bumping the minimum
> versions for MySQL and PHP version requirements. The big concern was
> around which distributions and distribution versions it would obsolete.
> The choice in Qt version has the same issues. Did I miss the discussion?
>
> For the user community, the difficulty in bumping the minimum required
> version of a package is more about how new the version is rather than
> how often it is bumped. If the version is too new, then it causes the
> problem that will be caused by using Qt 4.3 or 4.4: people will have to
> build custom Qt packages that are not part of their distributions.

If you don't want to upgrade your distro, why upgrade myth?  Keep it
as it is, a stable environment.  If you want the latest and greatest,
then you're going to have to sacrafice a little in order to prevent
stagnation and killing innovation.

Someone's going to lose out either way... I vote for increased
functionality than legacy support.

Thanks!
Matt S