[mythtv] [ANNOUNCE] merging Qt4 branch to trunk

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Mon Mar 17 21:42:47 UTC 2008

Janne Grunau wrote:
> On Monday 17 March 2008 18:52:25 Paul Bender wrote:
>> Janne Grunau wrote:
>>> The required Qt version will be Qt 4.3.
>> Is there a compelling reason for requiring Qt 4.3 rather than Qt 4.2?
>
> I was considering even requiring the unreleased qt4.4 for qtwebkit. So
> 4.3 was natural other choice. I didn't spent much thought about the
> version since qt4.3 is a year old. My main reason for choosing 4.3 are
> the difficulties of bumping a required version later.

When considering a stable OS, a year is not that long a time.

There was considerable discussion surrounding bumping the minimum
versions for MySQL and PHP version requirements. The big concern was
around which distributions and distribution versions it would obsolete.
The choice in Qt version has the same issues. Did I miss the discussion?

For the user community, the difficulty in bumping the minimum required
version of a package is more about how new the version is rather than
how often it is bumped. If the version is too new, then it causes the
problem that will be caused by using Qt 4.3 or 4.4: people will have to
build custom Qt packages that are not part of their distributions.