[mythtv] [ANNOUNCE] MythUI Port

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Mar 17 13:55:38 UTC 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 12:10 AM, Bill Williamson wrote:

> This is my major/only gripe with mythtv.

You must not use it very much, then.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Why_MythTV_Sucks

> When something doesn't work in -fixes, you're told to use SVN head.
> When something doesn't work in SVN head, you're told to use -fixes.

Things break sometimes. No one's perfect.

> It seems like this could be worked around by doing shorter
> feature-related releases...

You'd still have broken stuff that was released that would then be
fixed in SVN but include other broken stuff. No one's perfect.

> For example, .21 could have been released months ago with just the
> UPnP fixes, backend fixes, and a lot of the general fixes.

Then what would the developers who worked on multi-rec do? Sit there
and wait?

> .22 could have been just the multi-rec- merge.

While uPNP dev sits there and waits?

> .23 was the new video decoder (myth-vid branch)

I'm glad I have this now and not waited until the other stuff was
finished.

> and so on.  It's how many other projects work, where "HEAD" isn't
> really cvs-style head, it's just the most current INTEGRATED build,
> and releases are made from it each time things are stable.

No one's perfect. Stability is never guaranteed. Dev tries to get it
as good as possible for a release. Sometimes things break.
If you want to wait until things stop breaking, I recommend MythTV
1.0. ;)

Sorry to post this to the dev list. This is really a -users comment
and I didn't realize it even came into dev until I went to his send.
Seeing as how it was posted to the dev list, you already know that
stuff breaks and the reasoning behind when stuff is put in, when it's
released, that there are bugs in -fixes which is why there's a -fixes
branch, etc. After all, you're on the list and have been following
along the dev cycle, I assume.