[mythtv] Implications of the new youtube API

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 17:51:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 01:32:15PM -0400, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > If you want to download single files for later perusal, use wget and
> > MythVideo.  Or setup the URL using the IPTV recorder so it would be
> > downloaded. (Note, I haven't tested that, but based on what people are
> > saying it sounds like it would work).
>
> Since the original topic was the YouTube API; it is possible to use
> wget to retrieve clips somehow now that the API has been released?

No, the part of the API that is "exciting" to some is the ability to upload
and make community type changes.  The downloading of the actual video files
still requires that you munge together the URL (see my last commit to
MythNews).  It *might* be possible to use the 3GP link to download that file
but I think that is formatted for mobile devices and not really good for
playback on a TV.  That part of the API hasn't changed much other than
syntax.

Kevin