[mythtv] Implications of the new youtube API

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Mar 14 14:42:32 UTC 2008

* On Fri Mar 14, 2008 at 09:50:39AM -0400, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 23:52 -0600, Robert Johnston wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 9:26 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Oh, it also has links to the SWF file and the 3GP file via RTSP.  Doesn't do
> > > me much good inside of Myth because AFAIK, the internal player can't consume
> > > an RTSP stream at this point.  If/when it does, things get more interesting.
> >
> > The frontend can't, but the backend can (IIRC) in the IPTV recorder...
> >
> > Now all we'd need is a method to make "Vidcasts" available as a
> > channel to tune to...
>
> Yeah, the backend can handle RTSP, and that is really the proper place
> to handle video recording anyway, streaming or not.

I don't think I see this as 'recording', it's playback of a remote stream
just like a myth:// URL is handled by the RingBuffer class.  I think it would
be nice if someone were to mod the RingBuffer and player code so that they
could support playback of a streamed file via something like http or RTSP.

I do see constant streams as different from individual files though.  If
it is a stream you can join at any time, then it should be handled by
the backend.  If it's playback of a file such as viewing a single video
off YouTube, then I would think that would be done best by the player.

--
Chris