[mythtv] Mythbackend Fails to start with --generate-preview error

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Mar 12 14:08:27 UTC 2008

Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Tue Mar 11, 2008 at 11:39:33PM -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a singular anomaly or a real bug?
>>
>> I upgraded from SVN 16279 to 16399, and recently to 16479. The latter
>> two both fail on 'service mythbackend restart' with a reported error
>> like "--generate-preview requires --chanid and --starttime or --infile"
>
> Looks like something in mythbackend/main.cpp doesn't handle your particular
> command line properly.  Insert a debug statement into your init script to
> print out the command that it is trying to execute so we can see what args
> it is passing to mythbackend so we can replicate the issue.
>
> --
> Chris
I have already looked at the init. It is the standard fedora script. I
have checked the defaults in /etc/sysconfig/mythbackend, and tried with
that file, and with just the defaults in the init.

So what exactly do you suggest, and exactly where in the script?
Looking at it, this script is quite different than the script from a
year ago.
Since it attempts to start, the problem is somewhere in here:
(User is root, mbe_bin is /usr/local/bin/mythbackend (only one on the
machine! I checked! mbe_options is empty at the moment)

   # Start
         echo -n $"Starting $MBE_PROG: "
         touch "/var/run/$MBE_PROG.pid"
         chown "$MBE_USER":"$MBE_USER" "/var/run/$MBE_PROG.pid"
         daemon --user "$MBE_USER" "$MBE_BIN"              \
                --daemon                                   \
                --logfile "$LOG_DIR/$LOG_FILE" "$LOG_OPTS" \
                --pidfile "/var/run/$MBE_PROG.pid"         \
                $MBE_OPTIONS
         RETVAL=$?
         [ $RETVAL = 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/$MBE_PROG
         echo
         return $RETVAL
     }

What if, instead of using daemon I just call mythbackend with log and
pid options (and &&) ..Hmm, I do not have a daemon binary on this
laptop...Running Fedora 8 as at home. And there is no package 'daemon'
available if I 'yum install daemon'. Ok definitely weird as the old
version starts and runs, but the new ones don't.

Geoff