[mythtv] can mythtv be used in qtopia?

hendrixski hendrixski at storsint.com
Mon Mar 10 01:06:55 UTC 2008

Erik Hovland wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 05:31:58PM -0400, hendrixski wrote:
>
>> kjpioo2006 wrote:
>>
>>> does anyone successed in porting mythtv mythtv/video to embedded qtopia?
>>> any answer will be greatly appreciated,thanks!
>>>
>> I've wondered that myself, and not found any good links on google about it.
>> I've dabbled a little bit in getting Myth to run in smaller platforms, like
>> in a JeOS, or just a bare system with just X11 and no window manager. With
>> varying levels of success and failure. But if you could totally bypass all
>> the bloat of x11 and have qtopia handle the framebuffer it would be pretty
>> sweet.
>>

> X11 may be bloated on your desktop. But that is only because it has
> everything and the kitchen sink in it. Hand held platforms like GPE,
> OpenMoko and Maemo all use X11 with extremely small footprints.
>
> Qtopia 3.x is horribly bloated and slow. No one in the small computer
> field uses it. So it would have to be Qtopia 4.4 or so. Which means you
> are just as likely to get Qt4.4 on X11 onto a computer and running myth
> on that. Oh wait, myth doesn't yet run on Qt4. Whoops.
>
> Basically, it is a great idea to run Myth on Qtopia. But there are a lot
> of technical challenges between here and there. Making Myth run on Qt4
> is probably the first challenge to tackle.

Ah, Ok.  I've heard great things about Qtopia 4, but didn't know that it
was a recent improvement to something that was less stellar in previous
versions.  So are the light-footprint X11 systems just custom compiles
of X with the non-essentials cut out?

Qtopia would allow us to run mythtv on something as small as a phone...
do I understand you correctly that a lean X11 could do that as well?

And... I know qt4 is at the bottom of the priorities list, but, now that
KDE is running on qt4 I suspect there will be a re-evaluation in a year
or so.

--
 - Hendrixski

How to ask questions:
 * Do your homework: google it, search archives from lists and forums
 * Ask on the appropriate list or forum using a meaningful header
 * Be precise, impersonal, to the point, state your goal, and say "please" and "thank you"

How to answer questions:
 * Verify what they're asking about, turn bad questions into good ones
 * Give information, ask if it answers their question.  Rinse & Repeat
 * Not all manuals are created equal! link to your favorite one and say "Read This Fine Manual"