[mythtv] can mythtv be used in qtopia?

Erik Hovland erik at hovland.org
Sun Mar 9 22:03:41 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 05:31:58PM -0400, hendrixski wrote:
> kjpioo2006 wrote:
>> does anyone successed in porting mythtv mythtv/video to embedded qtopia?
>> any answer will be greatly appreciated,thanks!
>
> I've wondered that myself, and not found any good links on google about it.
> I've dabbled a little bit in getting Myth to run in smaller platforms, like
> in a JeOS, or just a bare system with just X11 and no window manager. With
> varying levels of success and failure. But if you could totally bypass all
> the bloat of x11 and have qtopia handle the framebuffer it would be pretty
> sweet.

X11 may be bloated on your desktop. But that is only because it has
everything and the kitchen sink in it. Hand held platforms like GPE,
OpenMoko and Maemo all use X11 with extremely small footprints.

Qtopia 3.x is horribly bloated and slow. No one in the small computer
field uses it. So it would have to be Qtopia 4.4 or so. Which means you
are just as likely to get Qt4.4 on X11 onto a computer and running myth
on that. Oh wait, myth doesn't yet run on Qt4. Whoops.

Basically, it is a great idea to run Myth on Qtopia. But there are a lot
of technical challenges between here and there. Making Myth run on Qt4
is probably the first challenge to tackle.

Erik Hovland
mail: erik at hovland.org
web: http://hovland.org/
PGP/GPG public key available on request