[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r16471 by kormoc

btsglw btsglw at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 15:53:58 UTC 2008

On 09/03/2008, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sunday 09 March 2008 06:37:52 Rob Smith wrote:
>  > On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Robert Johnston <anaerin at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > >  So, what is wrong with this scenario? Why can't I call mythfilldb from
>  > >  cron any longer?
>  >

> > My mistake, I was under a mistaken impression that we didn't support
>  > that style anymore, but that's not the case. I'll add back in the
>  > files and you can forget that it ever happened!
>

> I'm not really sure we want to encourage this usage since it is frequently
>  mis-used. XMLTV grabbers work automatically with mythfilldatabase with
>  current Myth, they tell MythTV what they are capable of and what options are
>  most efficient.
>
>  I assume Robert has good reason for not letting mythbackend and
>  mythfilldatabase run themselves and that he knows how to efficiently use his
>  XMLTV grabber. However most users I've spoken to who use the cron scripts and
>  the args field in mythtv-setup do not.
>
>  I've no problem with users shooting themselves in the foot, but I don't see
>  why we should hand them the guns.
>  --
>
> Stuart Morgan

In my case, I need to run mythfilldatabase manually. No one xmltv
grabber provides all the channels I receive via my TV provider.  I
live in Malta and the tv channels we receive are mostly from UK, Italy
and Romania (the Discovery channels, programs in English, ads in
Romanian).

I have a cronjob that runs a script calling three different xmltv
grabbers and then I run mythfilldatabase with --update --file 1
xmlfile flags on each resulting xml file.

-- Ver