[mythtv] Windows packaging

Johan Heikkilä johan.heikkila at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 09:23:48 UTC 2008

2008/3/7, Nigel Pearson <nigel at ind.tansu.com.au>:

>  To save filling up the Trac ticket too much, lets discuss
>  #4874 (win32 - default MYTHCONFDIR for windows) here.
>

>  3) If there is some magical packaging structure
>  in Windows (e.g. Vista) that I don't know about,
>  we add code like the current MacOS X one at line 363

Hello, if you want installations on Vista, I think you have to use MSI
if it is supposed to work like on other Windows versions. If you
install it only to the desktop or My Documents it will work fine
without MSI.

I haven't been following how the 'free world' does packaging for
Windows (I do MSI packaging for living), but I know there are some
free toolsets, e.g. WIX http://wix.sourceforge.net/ This should be
ideal for making Vista compatible installations. Here is an example
how UAC can be dealt with with WIX.
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/11/18/6385121.aspx

regards,
Johan