[mythtv] Freesat (UK)

David Matthews dm at prolingua.co.uk
Tue Mar 4 19:28:01 UTC 2008

Simon Kenyon wrote:

> do we have any idea where, when and how the EPG will be broadcast?

Just an update on this.  There has been some information on one of the
digitalspy forums about some testing EPG information that has recently
appeared on several of the BBC transponders.  It appears to be normal
EIT but on a non-standard PID.  At the moment most, but not all, of the
programme titles are scrambled but that could well be because it's just
testing data.  I patched Myth to include the testing PID (3842, if
anyone's interested) and got EPG information for several BBC and ITV
transponders off a single BBC transponder.  It looks as though they are
planning to transmit EPG information for all the Freesat transponders on
each transponder, as with Freeview.

They are including the TV-Anytime CRIDs which, on Freeview, go into the
programid and seriesid fields in the program table.  There is a testing
version of the SDT on PID 3841 which includes the "default authority"
needed to make the full program and series IDs.

Assuming the scrambled titles are just temporary the EPG should work
with little change.  Perhaps they will move it onto the standard PID
(18) when they start transmitting real data.

David.