[mythtv] Fwd: Re: DVB-C broken - update FAQ ?

kiu kiu at gmx.net
Thu Jun 26 12:55:06 UTC 2008

I started this wiki entry:

http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Channel_tuning_broken_with_DVB-C

Feel free to add any known fixes.

Thanks in advance...

kiu

----- Forwarded message from kiu at gmx.net -----
     Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:07:19 +0200
     From: kiu <kiu at gmx.net>
  Subject: Re: [mythtv] DVB-C broken - update FAQ ?
       To: mythtv-dev at mythtv.org

Quoting Janne Grunau <janne-mythtv at grunau.be>:
> On Wednesday 25 June 2008 00:36:53 kiu wrote:

>> Could you give a small explanation why it is broken ? We could use
>> these information to update the FAQ on the mythtv.org wiki and save

I will write a FAQ entry with your information thx.

> Some provider change the modulation of satellite feeds for DVB-C but
> don't modify the dervice information. I think (hope) this should be
> handled gracefully by MythTV. One have to scan each frequency manually
> but there is no way around it.

How can a user recognise this situation ? Eg QPSK modulation in
channel list instead of QAM64 ?

Scan each frequency means:
1. add all transponders from "w_scan -x" into mythtv and scan existing
transponders
OR
2. you have to add all channel information from "w_scan -X" into mythtv

> The other case is a wrong Network Information Table. These providers
> have different regional channel lineups burt generate the SI in a
> central place. They transmit for each region one NIT all the time. The
> DVB standard has a flag to indicate whether a NIT is for the actual
> network or for an other network. This information is not correct for
> all but one of the regional networks. One has to know the network id to
> get the correct network information table.

This means modifying the netword id in mysql and NOT do a rescan ?

How can a user recognise this situation ?

The pefect solution would be "talk to you provider, they should fix
it", right ?

Thx for your help...
--
kiu