[mythtv] Mythtv and kernel 2.6.25

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 09:09:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Andrew M. Bishop <amb at gedanken.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> "Paulo Cavalcanti" <promac at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 6:56 AM, Andrew M. Bishop <
> amb at gedanken.demon.co.uk>
> > wrote:

> 8).

> >> I had the same problem and stayed on kernel 2.6.24 with my bttv cards.
> >> I did some investigation and the problem seems to be related to the
> >> changeover to V4L2 in 2.6.25.
> >>
> >> This message http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/1/6/83 describes a patch to the
> >> bttv driver, but if you look at the 2.6.25 kernel source you will see
> >> that it isn't there.  If you apply this patch (like I tried) then it
> >> will get further, it won't lockup but I didn't get any video either.
>
> > I rebuilt video4linux from ATrpms using today's snapshot,
> > and it worked.
> >
> > Well, almost. If I try mythtv Live TV after rebooting, I get a green
> screen
> > (but no lock).
>
> This is what I got when I tried my home-made patch with the raw 2.6.25
> kernel - a green screen instead of a picture.
>
> I enabled all of the debugging that I could find and this was the
> error message that I was getting:
>
> v4l1-compat: VIDIOCMCAPTURE / VIDIOC_S_FMT: -16
>

> To bring this back on topic for mythtv-dev: I think that the problem
> is that mythtv uses partly or mostly V4L1 and with newer kernels this
> is provided only by a compatibility layer.  The VIDIOCGMBUF and
> VIDIOCMCAPTURE ioctls (which are the ones causing the two problems
> here) are both V4L1.  If the V4L1 layer ever goes away then mythtv
> will need to switch over.
>

> > However, If I run mplayer before using mythtv, Live TV works just fine.
> > Maybe this is related to the nvidia driver I am using. I did not try the
> > latest one (173.14.09).
> >
> > I will ask Axel to make video4linux (20080622) available to the public.
>
> Probably this configures the tuner in some way that is different from
> mythtv and the settings stick.

Hi,

ATrpms has the updated video4linux tree (20080622).
Therefore, it is easy to test without getting locks. One just need
to install the appropriate video4linux kmdl.

I also contacted Mauro Chehab:

> Hi, Mauro
>
> I almost got mythtv working again with bttv and kernel 2.6.25
>
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2008-June/062323.html
>
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2008-June/062325.html
>
> However, I have to run an mplayer (second link above) script before
> using mythtv with Live TV. Otherwise, I get only a green screen.
>
> Can you give me a clue why the script fix the problem?

>> Weird. There are some possible reasons for a green screen:

>>        1) xv troubles. This sometimes happens if you are using a
proprietary
>> driver, like ati or nvidia. Don't use those drivers, or you'll have
troubles
>> displaying tv;

>>        2) Tuner didn't load firmware properly (if you're using
xc2028/xc3028
>> or xc5000);

>>        3) Some analog tuners only work if you set it first to a high
channel.
>> Kernel driver already sets freq to 400KHz, so I suspect that this is not
the case;

>>        4) There are some failure at the negotiation process between
MythTV and
>> your board. Since boards like bttv supports several different formats,
maybe a
>> bug at MythTV is preventing it to select the proper format. Maybe some
API
>> non-compliance could prevent MythTV to find the proper format;

>>       5) a kernel bug ;) Since it is working with other userspace apps, I
>> don't think this is the issue.

>> I've just added a small patch at linuxtv repository that will allow you
>> enable ioctl debug at the driver.

>> Please try first to use the non-proprietary driver (if you're using).

>> If still not working, you'll need to retrieve the last version of the
driver at:
>>        http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb

>> after compiling/installing, you'll need to do:
>>        modprobe bttv bttv_debug=3

>> Please try to run mythtv without using the mplayer command and send us
the
>> output of "dmesg" command.

> Thanks, and keep up with the very good work at video4linux.

>> Anytime.

As I said before, running mplayer for watching TV just once (after
rebooting),
fix the myth Live TV.
My myth seems to be working very well with kernel 2.6.25 after doing that.
I can record, edit, etc ...

I tried running other programs, such as xawtv, tvtime, but only mplayer
fixed the
issue with the Live TV.

Probably, I will only have time to debug the bttv driver next week.
Although I use an nvidia card (GeForce 7600 GS), I do not think the problem
is
because of the proprietary driver. If anyone can run without loading the
nvidia driver (but using the nv driver), I would like to hear the result.

Thanks for the info.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ